Catholic Charities Community Services (CSSS) is looking hire several Senior Accountants to provide fiscal support to several CCCS divisions.
The Senior Accountant is an integral member of the CCCS finance team working under the guidance of the CCCS Program Support Manager. The focus is on providing fiscal support and operational reporting by preparing financial reports that compare actual results against budget and conducting monthly meetings with Programs, to aid them in their decision-making process. In addition, the position will meet fiscal contract requirements in a timely, accurate basis for CCCS and the entities for which CCCS provides accounting services. Fiscal contractual requirements include filing of contract claims, fiscal compliance reports and related accounting activities for CCCS and the entities for which CCCS provides accounting services.
CCCS and the other agencies provide a variety of social service programs for the Archdiocese of New York. These programs are funded by a variety of Federal, State, County and City agencies and foundations.
For the first six weeks this position will work in-person. After six weeks a hybrid schedule (3 days in office, 2 days at home) will be followed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare timely and accurate regulatory filings (i.e., claims, budget modifications close-outs, and advances).
- Complete revenue, receivable and expense reconciliations.
- Ensure integrity of financial results related to government contracts and grants, revenues, receivables, earned unbilled, and advances, and preparation of related standard journal entries and reconciliations.
- Monitor and follow up on outstanding receivable balances with the funding sources to maximize cash flow, which is critical to the organization.
- Prepare corporate budgets, as assigned, i.e., Personnel planning and financial models.
- Provide information that aids the Manager in the preparation of reports to management related to government contracts and grant status and activity, including the production of monthly contract Activity reports.
- Assist in the preparation of other corporate budget materials.
- Assist in the preparation of year-end corporate and periodic contract compliance audits, including retrieving supporting documents and back-up information, as requested.
- Assist in the analysis of charges to Activities to facilitate the release I utilization of temporarily restricted net assets ("TRNA") and the preparation and timely submission of reports required by donors.
- Provide recommendations for internal accounting/operating controls and efficiencies.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
$80,000.00-100,000.00 per year
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday - Friday. Additional evening and weekend hours are required to meet department and Agency deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- At least 3 to 5 years of related experience.
- Knowledge of accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America and cost accounting principles.
- Familiarity with government contracts.
- Some experience with government accounting portals (i.e. DYCD, DOE, HHS accelerator, DHS, HRA, OTDA).
- Good interpersonal and communication skills - ability to relate and clearly communicate with operating management, financial staff, and other departments, including professional writing style.
- Ability to analyze problems and recommendations and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to initiate projects, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines; exhibit a sense of urgency in performing work.
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel* and Word* required; knowledge of Lawson accounting software a plus. *Ability to successfully pass e-Skills test.
- Work requires a commitment to the mission of Catholic Charities Community Services.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Remain in a stationary position at a workstation and use a computer at least 70% of the time.
- Carry a laptop to offsite work locations.
- Ability to work with demanding, multiple deadlines.
Catholic Charities and Catholic Charities Community Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.