The Youth Worker assists the Group Leader and serves as direct classroom support to Licensed Teachers in the COMPASS NYC program and assists program participants in their homework and educational enrichment activities.
- Assist in day-to-day academic support through homework help, STEM activities, and other educational activities, and help execute lesson plans.
- Assist the Group Leader to implement cultural and/or recreational activities.
- Work with students from an assigned grade and track their progress and attendance throughout the academic year.
- Call participants• guardians/parents when they are absent.
- Collect participant report cards.
- Keep the Program Director informed of any changes in assigned participants• behavior.
- Ensure the cleanliness and appearance of all after school program space and assist in set-up/break-down of assigned spaces for daily use and special events.
- Attend monthly parent meetings and Agency sponsored special events.
- Arrive timely to work and report to the Program Aide.
- Meet with Program Director weekly for supervision.
- Attending all staff meetings.
- Support Licensed Teachers in STEM and enrich educational services.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Salary: $15 per hour - part time.
- High School student or College student.
- Minimum one (1) year experience working with elementary school age children.
- Must maintain or complete school in good academic standing verify by transcript.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Commitment to the mission of Catholic Charities Community Services.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a part-time position. Days and hours of work are generally 3:00 PM to 6 PM
Monday - Friday during, the academic year. Additional hours may be required to meet program deadlines or client needs.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- To conduct field trips or attend events, individuals will use public transportation or traverse city streets, occasionally ascend/descend stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Ability to work with youth and the general public.
- Remain in a stationary position or ambulate while monitoring and assisting participants.