Summary: Responsible for providing support to the staff and clients of the
Community-based Homelessness Prevention Program, in all matters related to housing. Incumbents in this classification are expected to possess considerable expertise in rent stabilization and control law, housing subsidies, building codes, housing-related agencies, dealing with brokers and agents for landlords, and the NYC housing market.
Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
- Works with the Housing Specialist Coordinator and the Program Director in providing assistance to the case managers in matters related to housing.
- Developing of a list of reliable landlords and brokers for the purpose of finding affordable housing to clients.
- Provides guidance to clients in dealing with housing-related issues.
- Provides mediation services to clients who are having problems with their landlords.
- Provides guidance to clients who are pursuing DHCR illegal rent-setting claims.
- Inspects housing dwellings to ascertain that they do not pose a threat to the health and safety of its occupants.
- Handle special projects as assigned by the supervisor.
- Attends Department and Program meetings as directed.
- Other duties may be assigned
Salary : $22.10 - S24.47 per hour. This is a non-exempt hourly position based on a 35 hours work week. $40,200 - $44,500 annually.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in the field, bi-lingual English-Spanish preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; strong organizational and computer literate.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally 9:00 AM to 5 PM Monday - Friday. Additional hours may be required to meet program deadlines, or client needs.
Working conditions and physical demands required:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- To conduct home visits and outreach within NYC at least 50% of the time, individuals will use public transportation or traverse city streets, occasionally ascend/descend stairs, and be exposed to outside weather conditions.
- Ability to work with the public.
- Ability to position boxes/items at different levels that weigh up to 25 lbs.
- Remain stationary at a workstation and use a computer at least 50% of the time.
- Potential to carry a laptop to offsite work locations.